Sunday, July 5, 2009

the sword also means clean-ness + death


I walk away from viewing this masterpiece, knowing the power that the artist can wield. The history he can emboss with his fingertip.
I understand why this is WIDELY considered one of the
greatest and most influential films in the history of cinema. But what makes it even more impressionable is that I did not know until now that is was a true story.

My knowledge of WWI is growing with my own research, the catalyst of my interest was being introduced to Rowan Atkinson's Blackadder series. I have had no knowledge or teachings of Arab history and influence in WWI. Nor that Lawrence was a true man and his was a true story. After understanding what a pivitol force he been in shaping the formation of the Middle East and the beginings of Arab Nations, out of squabling tribes, I now endeavor to read T.E. Lawrewnce's auto-biographic account or memoirs otherwise known as "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom".

Lawrence
was inspired by a rock formation that he saw during the Arab revolt of 1917–18, in Wadi Rum, Jordan. He named this rock formation "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom". In the end, Lawrence decided to use this evocative title for the memoirs he penned in the aftermath of the war.

In a line from a poem at the start of the book, Lawrence's explains the relevance of "seven pillars" biblical reference to the Arab Revolt:
I loved you, so I drew these tides of men into my hands
and wrote my will across the sky in stars
To gain you Freedom, the seven-pillared worthy house,
that your eyes might be shining for me
When I came.

No comments: